Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Palo Duro Canyon

We decided to drive to Amarillo (2 hours) because Brad had a break between his two block classes. He has 2 classes per semester, and they had a week long break where they learned stuff that they didn't need to study for, just protocol stuff I guess (I don't really know because I didn't go). 
So we went on a Tuesday, and it was nice because we were all alone on the trail aside from one serious hiking elderly couple. It wasn't Zions but its the best we have! Brad agreed to carry the pack of all our cargo-Miles included. Miles pretty much was miserable-hot and and kept whining and groaning-and sometimes full on crying.
We thought he would take a great nap in the car on the way to Amarillo so we drove during his nap time. Of course he didn't sleep much, and so hence our whiney pants.

Oh my gosh, this picture is with my cell phone, and no filter, I can't believe how blue the sky is. It looks like a green screen for sure.

I would feed Miles on the go, including dumping water on him. If you didn't know this about babies, I will tell you-they cannot regulate their temperature like a normal human. So, that means you have to dump water on them when its kinda hot, and dress them extra warm when its a little bit chilly. 

Brad was completely soaking wet in sweat by the time we were done, it was like 98 or something, we went at the hottest time of the day, but don't worry, we went canyoneering in Fat Man's Misery, where we ran out of water because my camelback leaked out all over my back in the first hour. And so Brad and I were sharing his small camelback over a 10 hour 100 degree weather-no shade period. Everyone else ran out of water too, because the prepared ones had to share with the unprepared ones. I drank an entire hot water bottle when we got done. So we didn't want to make that mistake again. 

And we didn't-we had like 4 bottles left over, because this hike was only 3.5 miles or something.

We decided we wanted to go up the steep part so we could actually see the main attraction.
It was really not the best for a baby in a pack-but we accomplished it with no injuries.

Brad took a rest, as we looked at the impressive lighthouse.

It was kinda disappointing, but its like giving someone who has had a 5 star feast, a measly stale roll. 
We did love seeing a piece of canyon in flat Texas.

Does Miles look like a girl in this hat? We were going for most coverage, and he wouldn't wear it most of the time, it made his head so sweaty, but the pale little thing burns if he gets one drop of sun.

I promise there are pictures of me, but they are on Brad's phone.


Panoramic view. LOL its terrible.

Miles looked like he was going to just dump right out on the downhill. He was clutching the pack so tight.

We kinda felt more at home in this canyon. It was such a good bonding experience for Brad and I. At one point he asked me to do impressions of people, I couldn't come up with any, so he spewed out a few, mostly all hilarious. Probably not you, he didn't target blog readers.  

I followed behind Brad, for some reason he felt the need to take his extremely long legs and walk so fast. I really had to jog next to him to keep up. At one point we did jog together. Miles really liked that.

Here I am! I made the picture! At the end we let Miles get out and walk. He wanted to touch and grab everything. 

Brad has been talking about this food place for so long. It was on Man vs. Food. And Man vs. Food has taken us to many places. Coyote Bluff Cafe. Darn show, but it doesn't disappoint. This was the chili cheese fries- I normally don't like them, but these were just fries with cheese and green chilies on top. So they were good, and I was starving, because Brad always wants to 'save up' for good eating places-and I am not a save upper. Because I don't think I eat my body's weight in one sitting, never not ever. Even starving I ate half of my hamburger. Although Miles was freaking out, due to no nap, an extremely hot hike and it was like 8 PM. Bedtime! And they had no high chairs-so he was on my lap the entire time. 
Which if you know Miles, he doesn't rest easy when there are things to grab and see. 
So I left early to the car while Brad finished up.
Somehow after all that food we got ice cream, because it sounded cold and good, we only ate like half of ours. 
Miles and I konked out quickly as soon as we got in the car-so tired. 
Such a fun mini vacation for us. I loved the alone time with Brad, and I came up with this great idea for struggling couples. Put them on a 4 hour hike together, with no cell phones, and make them talk to each other- or better yet a camping trip with no connection to the outside world. That would for sure make or break their marriage. I just think alone time aside from the hustle and bustle is really rejuvenating for ones soul.
Now I'll get to do that again when we go on the ward campout! To a different canyon!


No comments: